Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Perfect TV Family

I'm baaaaAAAAaaack!

Aren't you excited?
In all honesty though, I feel bad for being so sporadic in my blogging recently. In fact, I really shouldn't be blogging right now, because I have finals to study for and portfolios to compile. Why is it that I only blog when it is the absolutely least appropriate time?
Ah well.

Today I am going to do another fun, simple blog post. I am going to assemble my own, "perfect," TV family. Now, I personally think perfect families are boring, so I put the word in quotes because my ideal family will probably have some intentional imperfections. Also, I don't mean to say that I don't appreciate my own family. This is purely fun and fantasy... obviously, as logistically this family doesn't even really work. Two gay dads plus a straight mom? Unless she's their baby mama and we're doing a "The Kids Are All Right" thing.

Without further ado, here's My TV Family!

1. Dad- Mitchell Pritchett and Cameron Tucker, "Modern Family"



I couldn't decide! This category was a tough one, but in the end I went with Mitchell and Cameron, the devoted dads of Lily on "Modern Family" (you can't choose just one). They guys clearly adore their little girl, constantly worrying about her and doing everything they can to make her childhood as perfect as it can be. I wouldn't even mind if Cameron dressed me up in those ridiculous costumes when I was a baby. Worth it. (Jimmy Chance from "Raising Hope" came in a close second place. I haven't watched enough of the show to truly judge.)

2. Mom- Lorelai Gilmore, "Gilmore Girls"


You know what? I don't even think this one needs explaining. It's Lorelai. Gilmore. Enough said.


3. Big Brother- Simon Tam, "Firefly"



Simon is without question the best big brother of all time. The guy gives up everything he has (which is a LOT) to infiltrate a high-security government lab and break his genius little sister out of a terrifying experimental program that has made her insane. Then he sneaks her onto a ship and sticks by her despite her violent assassin tendencies, their new labels as "fugitives," and the rest of the crew's resentment. He doesn't even get with the girl he's been flirting with because he's so dedicated to curing little River. No matter what she does (which includes knifing a particularly hot-tempered crew member, wrecking his lab, randomly screaming at inconvenient moments, and trying to shoot everybody) he treats her with the utmost kindness and loving protection. He is the older brother I always wanted. Also, he's a doctor. He could qualm all of my hypochondriacal worries.

4. Big Sister- Jess Day, "New Girl"



Ok, so at this point we don't really know much of anything about Jess Day's family, but if she were a big sister, she would be an awesome one. Can you imagine the clothes you could steal from her closet? Can't you totally picture yourself and Jess sitting in your PJ's, chatting about boys and braiding each other's hair?

5. Grandfather- The Doctor, "Doctor Who"


HE COUNTS. And those of you who have seen Classic Who can attest to it (though I must confess, I have only seen bits of it). The Doctor's original companion was Susan, his teenage granddaughter. She is one of my dream roles (come on, they could bring her back!). The Doctor in his more recent incarnations is young, at more of an older-brother-status than a grandfatherly one, but he is old and wise, and also has that goofy quality that can be attributed to all great grandparents. Plus, The Doctor is kind of the patriarch of the universe, anyway.

6. Grandmother- The Dowager Countess of Grantham, "Downton Abbey"


She's sassy, she's classy, and she tells it like it is. The Dowager Countess may be old-fashioned, but when it comes to her granddaughters, she's suprisingly supportive on certain matters. She actually comes to support Sybil's controversial marriage to the chauffer, Branson, and let's not forget her legendary "Do you promise?" in response to Richard Carlisle, Mary's awful almost-husband's announcement of his leaving.

Now that's my kind of family.

Love,
Susan D. Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment